Saturday, February 11, 2006

Photog Prize - and the Subject?


Haaretz photographer Uriel Sinai took first prize in the World Press Photo photography contest, in the category of general news.


And what was the pic?

Here he explains:

"I am driven by the unexplainable need to continuously take picture after picture," Sinai said.

"I think that the interest in photography comes from people's desire to see something through another's eyes. There are hundreds like me, in Israel and in the territories, Israelis and Palestinians, who every day crawl through the dirt, and risk their lives, all to tell a story," he continued.

Sinai lived in Gush Katif for 3 months before the disengagement, and photographed the lead-up to the evacuation and the evacuation itself.

"The evacuation was very hard on me," he acknowledged.

"I lived there and came to understand the people. Regardless of my opinion of the evacuation, I found myself identifying with them and their cause," Sinai said.

1 comment:

Batya said...

gorgeous picture
and I wonder what his confession will get him